nanog mailing list archives

Re: 10.0.0

From: Tony Li <tli () jnx com>
Date: 31 May 1997 10:48:47 -0700

doshea () mail wiltel net (Dave O'Shea) writes:

The only services that should be affected by the use of such "bogus"
addresses will be traceroute and any routing information passed by the
device.

Unfortunately that's not quite true.

There are a variety of services which rely on messages received from
intermediate hops that would break if the the sending host happened
to filter out RFC1918 addresses and a part of the network
were using them.

Probably the best example is Path MTU Discovery.

I meant "services used by normal humans in the course of downloading nude
.gif's", i.e., typical Internet customers. I stand by my statement. :-)

As the "normal human in the course of downloading nude .gif's" should be
using Path MTU Discovery, I think you're agreeing....

Tony

p.s. .gif's are obsolete.  Most everything is .jpg's, .mpg's, and .avi now.
;-)