nanog mailing list archives

Re: BOOM! there goes WorldCom

From: Nathan Stratton <nathan () netrail net>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 16:21:48 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 16 Jul 1997, Golan Ben-Oni wrote:

On Wed, 16 Jul 1997, Nathan Stratton wrote:
Ya, we are going to kill worldcom for this one, they say they have 496 DS3
connections down. We have 3 connections into our Palo Alto POP, and
Worldcom said they all are over different fiber paths. As of right now
they all are down.

You should never trust what your sales people say.  When designing your
backbone, its important to ask them for your DLRs (design layout records)
so that you can see physically, with your own eyes, the paths involved.

I know this, I have a copy of the DLRs. What I am saying is Worldcom
changed the DLRs without letting us know, and now they all run over this
fiber cut. We request a copy of the DLRs on ALL our links. We started
this long ago when we had a MCI and Worldcom DS1 die because they went
over the same fiber.

Nathan Stratton                                President, NetRail,Inc.
Phone   (888)NetRail                           NetRail, Inc.
Fax     (404)522-1939                          230 Peachtree Suite 500
WWW     http://www.netrail.net/                Atlanta, GA 30303
"No king is saved by the size of his army; no warrior escapes by his
great strength.                                        - Psalm 33:16