nanog mailing list archives

Re: Internet Backbone Index

From: Ken Leland <kwl () shell monmouth com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 16:34:10 -0400 (EDT)

Michael Dillon wrote:

You aren't going to make latency disappear by replacing router hops with
ATM switch hops. Those electrons still have to cross the continent.

em fields actually. Actual electron drift would be a real latency:)

Seriously, your point about layer2/layer3 switching/routing
tradeoffs is an excellent one. The transit time on long runs
has been so thoroughly discussed as a limiting factor that I'm surprised
we have to make this point again. (Marketing stuff I guess -  My network
is better than your network cause I've got a bigger ...)

Or alternately shall we compare ...  , nah.

Ken Leland
kwl () monmouth com