nanog mailing list archives

Re: Internet Backbone Index

From: Robert Laughlin <robert () portal dx net>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 13:57:39 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 9 Jul 1997, Gary Zimmerman wrote:
When 80 to 90 percent of the Internet traffic is to MCI, SPRINT and UUNET
then our model is the right way to build this, not to try and see how many
peering agreements one can get.

DataXchange purchases transit from uunet, mci & sprint.  But we also
aggressively try to peer with those who wish to peer.  Gary, you are wrong
to say that 90% of traffic is for uunet, mci or sprint.  I have the
statistics on my own network to prove this.  Typically we see a breakdown
like this:

MCI                       22%
Sprint                     7%
UUNET                     21%
all other (via peering)   48%

In our opinion since only 52% of the traffic has its best routing thru
uunet, sprint & mci, bi-lateral peering is definately worthwhile.

Best Regards,
Robert Laughlin

DataXchange                sales:  800-863-1550            http://www.dx.net
       Network Operations Center:  703-903-7412 -or- 888-903-7412