nanog mailing list archives

Re: Non-profit IP Registry

From: David Stoddard <dgs () us net>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 1997 00:09:30 -0500 (EST)

        While I admit it is not completely clear reading the proposal
        outlined on the web page at http://rs.internic.net/arin, charging
        $2,500 for a /24 will *kill* the small business market, and the
        ISPs that exist to service that market.  Most of the associations
        and small businesses we deal with choke when thay have to pay $750
        for a router to handle their dedicated Internet connection.  Added
        to the fact that the LECs want to charge per minute charges for
        POTS lines used for dedicated dial-up, a $2,500 IP address charge
        will guarantee that the small business portion of the market will
        disappear.  We all depend on the net for a living folks -- I don't
        think we should consider any proposal that would have a negative
        effect on our own industry.

        Dave Stoddard
        US Net Incorporated
        301-572-5926