nanog mailing list archives

Re: Just got on this thing (perhaps very belatedly) - root server trouble?

From: "Matt Ranney" <mjr () ranney com>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 15:46:30 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 18 Feb 1997, Karl Denninger wrote:

[...]
What do you think happens to the nameservers on the net when they're asked
for a domain that doesn't have functional servers, and they sit and churn
trying to resolve the names?

BTW, churn is the right word.  Its taking anywhere from 5-10 *seconds* to
come back as NXDOMAIN on each request for those that fail to resolve, and
this is from the IANA roots.

So aside from programs like yours, who ever asks for domains that
aren't in use?

This IS a functional problem - and worse, all those non-existant zones and
the VM churn they generate on the COM TLD servers is probably the REASON
that we're looking at this kind of horrid performance!

Thats fair, I guess.  Perhaps some of those $100 in fees for unused
domains could be used to buy more RAM for root server operators.
--
Matt Ranney - mjr () ranney com

This is how I sign all my messages.