nanog mailing list archives

Re: routes to hit 50,000 soon? or filter AS 7007....

From: rpa () insnet net (Richard Almeida)
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 22:06:34 +0100 (BST)

Are your nameservers in the first class C of your CIDR block by any
chance???  They have been taking CIDR blocks and squirting out
Class C equivilents.

Sadly, many poeple (including me) think, oooh, nice big CDIR block lets
put all my important boxes in it's first Class C... Seems to be a
very bad descision ;-(

And, because of the way you get CIDR allocations in Europe (and probably
everywhere else now)
        Join RIPE
        Apply for space for your own network
        This gets allocated from the beginning of a new /19 CIDR block
        Build NOC and 1st POP
        Then start applying-for/allocating customer address space

I would imagine a very large proportion of "newer" ISPs have critical stuff
in the 1st /24 of their 1st allocation ...

Richard

--
Richard Almeida                         email: rpa () insnet net
Technical Director                      phone: +44 181 296 9201