nanog mailing list archives

Re: Static IP addresses for Dial-up

From: Paul Ferguson <pferguso () cisco com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 1996 12:48:00 -0500

At 02:19 AM 1/30/96 +1100, Robert Elz wrote:

You're expecting me to obtain one of those things for my system
at home?   And assuming that password type capable access
protection is the only kind of protection I care about.

Well, not exactly. I was thinking along the lines of something a little
larger than 'home' access.  :-)

Lets be a little reasonable please - access filters aren't
dead yet (I would like to see them vanish, and I would hope that
one day that might happen, today isn't that day).

I will believe this has happened when cisco no longer support
packet filtering in their routers.

kre

My point was that filtering on source addresses is not exactly the
most secure method of access control.

- paul