Metasploit mailing list archives

Re: Update surprise

From: Joshua Smith <lazydj98 () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2013 11:06:18 -0500

This shouldn't have been too big of a surprise, it's been around for about 3 months:
https://github.com/rapid7/metasploit-framework/commit/db4a392de2b068eeb2768beaad89110e46d09c65
As the Open Source Issue Manager, someone who does not work for Rapid7, I can tell you that this actually makes it
easier to update core libraries and such.  At the same time, it can be sidestepped for those that prefer to do so by
git cloning the repo and handling the dependencies yourself.  Unfortunately you can't have your cake and eat it too in
this scenario.  As a side effect, I imagine it helps to further justify the continued support of the Metasploit
Framework (not the paid versions) when Rapid7 management can see at least some of the cases when people upgrade from
the community edition to the paid versions.  Given all that MSF has gained from the acquisition, I think this is a
small "price" to pay, esp. since it can be side-stepped w/o penalty.

-kernelsmith