Metasploit mailing list archives

Change reverse_http (User-Agent:) and (Server:) headers

From: Sherif El-Deeb <archeldeeb () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2011 14:52:06 +0300

In meterpreter/reverse_http, Is there a way to let the (User-Agent:) from
the client side and the (Server:) headers from the handler side be user
specified?  I guess we all know why setting those two to something other
than (Meterpreter/Windows) and (Rex) is going to be a much better idea.
Thanks!

=====================================
Speed comparison between reverse_(tcp) and (http):
=====================================
I know that this sounds useless, but since I already did this I'm sharing
it hoping someone else somewhere might find it useful.

I did a simple test to check which is faster in file download operations,
and to be honest I thought that reverse_http will be slower than
reverse_tcp because of the HTTP overhead, which turned out to be NOT true.

I downloaded two files for test, three times and got average, 1MB and
5.7MB, my uplink speed is 0.6Mbit

=> reverse_tcp <=
1MB in 27 seconds  (37kb/s)
5.7MB in 141seconds (41kb/s)

=>reverse_http <=
1MB in 20 seconds (50kb/s)
5.7MB in 101seconds (57kb/s)

I believe that *might* be because the reverse_tcp uses encryption, while
reverse_http sends data in the clear.

Regards,
Sherif Eldeeb.