Metasploit mailing list archives

No room for shellcode

From: hdm at metasploit.com (H D Moore)
Date: Sun, 03 May 2009 15:35:31 -0500

On Sun, 03 May 2009 14:46:30 -0500, DB Allen <allendb760 at googlemail.com>
wrote:

It's FTP - I didn't know about 0xFF being treated as an escape , this
server doesn't seem to like 0x0D either for whatever reasons - I tried
generating new shellcode without 0xFF and 0x0D but this seemed to not
cause an overflow - so then tried it with PexAlphaNum encoded shellcode
- all the shellcode
seems to get copied across this time but I don't get control of EIP,
although an access violation still occurs further up in the stack.

Try using the BadChars from an existing FTP exploit:

'BadChars' => "\x00\x7e\x2b\x26\x3d\x25\x3a\x22\x0a\x0d\x20\x2f\x5c\x2e",

0xFF may need to be doubled (in your exploit code, just use gsub to double
it up), but more than likely not.

0x0a and 0x0d are the CRLF line terminators, so no surprise its an issue.

-HD