Metasploit mailing list archives

No room for shellcode

From: hdm at metasploit.com (H D Moore)
Date: Sun, 03 May 2009 13:26:12 -0500

On Sun, 03 May 2009 13:19:44 -0500, DB Allen <allendb760 at googlemail.com>
wrote:

Out of interest, has anyone ever seen an overflow fail when changing
shellcode. As in the buffer overflow doesn't even occur..
I thought there may be a bad character in the shellcode, which was why it
was not landing up in the stack properly, so generated new shellcode set
to exclude the byte I thought could be causing problems, and the overflow
didn't even occur, was sending exactly the same data for the initial
buffer, just different shellcode... It's irritated the hell outta me!

This happens pretty often, its a pain to work through, but its usually
caused by either a badchar being missed, or the combination of two
characters triggering some processing issue in the application. With FTP
servers, the 0xFF byte is often treated as an escape, so you have to
double each 0xFF so that it decodes properly. What protocol is this
exploit using?

-HD