Metasploit mailing list archives

MS08-067 Authentication against NTLMv2

From: one.miguel at gmail.com (Juan Miguel Paredes)
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 19:28:02 +0100

The problem is like you stated.  A secure configuration would not have
either accessible by anonymous users.  On workstations on a domain,
the BROWSER service may even be turned off completely.  Lastly, in my
testing of baselined systems, there is also "buffer overflow"
detection that thwarts attempts (McAfee in my case).  It definitely
works as long as either the BROWSER or SRVSVC named pipe is enabled
and accessible by anonymous users (and the BO detection is turned
off).