Metasploit mailing list archives

Windows Shellcode on Unix

From: tyronmiller at gmail.com (Ty Miller)
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 07:30:08 +1000

Hey guys,

Sorry that this isn't specifically a Metasploit question, but I know that
you guys are the best to give me an answer.

I am creating some shellcode to execute on Windows. I originally developed
it using cygwin, and the shellcode.asm compiled and executed fine. I since
moved the shellcode.asm file to Linux and compiled it, and now the shellcode
fails miserably. Should this work? What is the likely cause of this?

I have got pretty similar (if not the same) versions of tools on both
systems, like nasm, ld, objdump, etc. I am compiling with the following
commands;

nasm -f elf shellcode.asm
ld -o shellcode shellcode.o
objdump -d shellcode
... then the objdump output gets formatted into shellcode.

Any help or comments would be appreciated, or feel free to contact me
offline, and again, apologies for not being Metasploit specific ... but
hopefully the shellcode will end up in Metasploit anyway!

Thanks,
Ty