Metasploit mailing list archives

Spam: RE: Spam: How safe is a hardware firewall?

From: joxeankoret at yahoo.es (Joxean Koret)
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2007 20:19:46 +0100

Hi Robin,

It depends in the servers/applications you have opened to internet. If
you have any private web application (specially if they are coded in PHP
and ASP) you should start auditing it. If you have databases, ftp
servers, mail servers, etc... You will need specific tools to see what
can be done.

If you're using only standard applications (i.e., widely deployed) you
should check any news regarding these applications in security related
mailing lists (Bugtraq, Full Disclosure, Milw0rm, etc...). When using
standard software but not widely deployed (i.e., not too tested...) you
should audit yourself to known if there is any vuln.

Anyway, even if you're using only fully patched very widely deployed
software you must be aware that 90% of the time a vulnerable
server/application is a badly configured one.

BTW, did you tried to launch a vulnerability assesment tool? As, for
example, Nessus?

Joxean Koret