Metasploit mailing list archives

Spam: How safe is a hardware firewall?

From: kim at bufferzone.dk (Kim Guldberg)
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2007 18:58:14 +0100

Hi Robin

A hardware firewall is just as safe or unsafe as any other firewall,
it's all in the configuration and setup, just one hole or
misconfiguration and your are screwed. FortiGate is a well known brand
and has an ok reputation.

Your servers are not necessarily ok. You write that you have opened the
important ports which is plenty enough for a hacker if the systems
behind the firewall are un patched or has exploitable vulnerabilities.
You write nothing about how you filter outbound traffic. This is very
important since the hacker has to be able to connect back out through
your firewall. It's is ok to leave the firewall open from outside in, if
the hacker cannot come back out. Of cause it's is more safe to block
both incoming and outbound as efficiently as possible.

If you just look at your firewall, you will  never get a secure system.
You need to look at all the levels and all the units from a security
point of view.

Best regards

Kim Guldberg

Robin Kipp skrev:
Hi guys,
I hope this topic isn't to much off-topic since it isn't Metasploit
related... I just put a FortiGate hardware firewall between my server
and the internet. I left all the important ports (HTTP, SMTP, POP3
etc) open, but the traffic is always being checked by the firewall.
The firewall has thousands of attack definitions, virus signatures
etc... Do you think I can say that my server is safe behind the
firewall or are there always ways to hack the firewall and bypass it?
Robin