Metasploit mailing list archives

Integration with other tools

From: hdm at metasploit.com (H D Moore)
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 12:58:46 -0600

The target structure just doesn't include that kind of information. Adding
support for those fields would be easy, but updating 200-odd modules
would be a challenge. One thing to keep in mind is that many targets also
depend on variables other than the OS and service pack level. For
example, the native language of the target affects what return addresses
should be used. Some targets provide alternative exploit methods as well,
for example the MS06-040 flaw can be exploited at least three different
ways and we support each of them through different targets.

If youre looking for a quick way to cross-reference hosts with modules,
your best bet is using the CVE and BID references. Once you have a match,
determine whether the exploit has a default target set, if so, it should
generally safe to use without knowing the OS or service pack.

-HD