Metasploit mailing list archives

A highly newbie question.

From: tzahi.ml2 at gmail.com (tzahi mltwo)
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 16:57:00 +0200

Thank you for your help!
I already started to read the SANS document, it looks very relevant and
interesting.

On 11/22/07, Ryan Lindfield <ryan at westchasetech.com> wrote:

 Hello Tzahi,
There is a good book called "Hacking, The art of Eploitation" which would
be right up your alley.There are a number of papers scattered across
the web as well. But for a short quick answer.. Pick up a fuzzer, Peach Fuzz
seems to be popular, pick an application that you want to attack, and send
it data via different input vectors until the application breaks. Once it
breaks, then it's time to use your debugger and see what exactly happened
under the hood. I'm sure if you know assembly that you understand the
importance EIP and why we want to gain control of it.

I would say, for best results pick an obscure application that not many
people are using. The idea is that all of your popular applications and
services have been combed through by hundreds of people before you. My
thought process here is that you'll have the most luck if you select an
oddball application that others haven't beaten up to badly yet, and if
you're lucky there might be something easy or obvious :)

Check the SANS Reading Room for a paper called "*Stack Based Overflows:
Detect & Exploit" *it may be useful to you as well.

HTH,
Ryan