Metasploit mailing list archives

A highly newbie question.

From: tzahi.ml2 at gmail.com (tzahi mltwo)
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 15:11:07 +0200

Hi All,
I wish to study the art of hacking.
I am a windows kernel drivers developer so i am not new to coding and i know
more or less assembly.
I am working on a security product.
I managed to run and use successfuly Metasploit 2.7 and 3 as a bonnafied
script-kiddie :).
However, I wish to learn how hacking is being actually done.
Taking as a case study the warftpd-user exploit in metasploit i wish to
recreate the method in which the original hacker found the exploit.
I installed windbg for starters and the first thing that comes to mind, is
how to break point on the "USER" command to see what metasploit is doing on
the stack.
Can anyone refer me to some tutorials or comment on what he would have done
to recreate this and how to see what metasploit is doing?

Thanks.