Metasploit mailing list archives

MoAxB in the MSF world: target OS detection with JavaScript

From: jerome.athias at free.fr (Jerome Athias)
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 14:11:33 +0200

Hi there,

since multiple vulnerabilities are released during the

  MoAxB - Month of ActiveX Bug [Ref1]

some guys started to release exploit modules for the Metasploit Framework.
For example:
NCTAudioFile2.AudioFile ActiveX Remote Stack Overfl0w
http://metasploit.com/svn/framework3/trunk/modules/exploits/windows/browser/bearshare_setformatlikesample.rb

This one is interesting due to the numbers of softwares using it, ref:
http://www.milw0rm.com/exploits/3728
(and http://www.milw0rm.com/exploits/3808 )

When using a Windows' DLL-based return address, OS fingerprinting
introduces itself as a key point.
Fortunately, when targeting a browser, JavaScript can help to
drastically increase the chance of a successful exploitation. [Ref2] [Ref3]
For this, i released the os_detect JavaScript script:
https://www.securinfos.info/jerome/os_detect.js
By using the included

giveMeRET() function in an exploit, it will retrieve the Windows version and locale of the target and return a good ret
address.

To obfuscate the exploit code, people should use both the rand_text_alpha() and
obfuscate_js() functions. [Ref4]

os_detect.js will be enhanced soon (using arrays, adding support for more opcodes support, adding support for more
locales, etc).

People can help me to improve the return addresses database by following
these steps:
1) Download this package: https://www.securinfos.info/OPCODES_LIST.zip
on one Windows box
2) Extract it and run the OPCODES_LIST.bat script
3) Send the results file OPCODES_LIST.txt to me

To help people to write reliable ActiveX exploit modules for the
Metasploit Framework, i have also coded some useful functionnalities in
the MSF eXploit Builder tool.
https://www.securinfos.info/metasploit/MSF_XB.php
ie:
* it now retrieves automatically the CLSID of a given .OCX/.DLL file
from the registry
* it is now possible to enter the design of the exploit (ie: buff + EIP
+ nop + shellcode + nop) and it will automatically generate the matching
code
* and others ;-)
-- available soon