Metasploit mailing list archives

Criminalisation of security tools

From: 0x90 at hushmail.com (0x90 at hushmail.com)
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 19:58:20 +0200

Framework 3.0 release is all over the news. I came across
http://www.heise-security.co.uk/news/87442 and what I found
interesting is the last paragraph that states:

"However, recent amendments to information security legislation,
which include the criminalisation of the manufacture, provision,
distribution or procurement of hacker tools will make the use of
tools such as Metasploit problematic. It could even become unlawful
to perform internal tests to check the security of your system or
to check whether vendor patches really fix vulnerabilities as
promised."

Going back to typical "Security through obscurity" approach?
Anyway, I never heard about such legislation. If true, which
state(s) will adopt it? Anyone has more info?

Cheers,
/0x90

PS: HD Moore, thank you very much for such a great tool.

--
Click to lower your debt and consolidate your monthly expenses
http://tagline.hushmail.com/fc/CAaCXv1QPRU4j5lRLXhxvOi6lWkA5NZe/