Metasploit mailing list archives

ms04_031_netdde

From: npouvesle at tenablesecurity.com (Nicolas Pouvesle)
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 10:04:54 +0100

On Feb 28, 2007, at 5:48 AM, Alexander Sotirov wrote:

In MS04-031 Microsoft says:

"After the NetDDE services are started, any anonymous user who
could deliver a
specially crafted message to the affected system could attempt to
remotely
exploit this vulnerability"

This seems to imply that no authentication is necessary, but the
exploit doesn't
work with an anonymous connection. When I run ms04_031_netdde I get:

Exploit failed: The server responded with error: STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

If I set SMBUSER and SMBPASS, the exploit works, but these two
options are not
listed in the exploit info message. Are they really needed, or is
there
something I am missing?

Actually, I just think the exploit may only target one of the flaw
fixed in ms04-031 (I didn't even know a flaw in the RPC interface was
fixed prior to looking at the exploit code).
 From what I remember a stack overflow can be exploited anonymously
on the TCP port 139 using the NDDE protocol (a netbios session must
be negotiated first).

Nicolas