Metasploit mailing list archives

ms04_031_netdde

From: jerome.athias at free.fr (Jerome Athias)
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 08:33:39 +0100

Please find this sentence in the description field of the exploit module
"Despite Microsoft's claim that this vulnerability can be exploited
without authentication, the NDDEAPI pipe is only accessible after
successful authentication."

Alexander Sotirov a ?crit :
In MS04-031 Microsoft says:

"After the NetDDE services are started, any anonymous user who could deliver a
specially crafted message to the affected system could attempt to remotely
exploit this vulnerability"

This seems to imply that no authentication is necessary, but the exploit doesn't
work with an anonymous connection. When I run ms04_031_netdde I get:

Exploit failed: The server responded with error: STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

If I set SMBUSER and SMBPASS, the exploit works, but these two options are not
listed in the exploit info message. Are they really needed, or is there
something I am missing?

Thanks,
Alex