Metasploit mailing list archives

Hand Held Auditing Device

From: Robert.Clark at cern.ch (Robert Clark)
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2007 09:33:14 +0100

H D Moore wrote:
Metasploit 3 *works* on the Zaurus, the Nokia 770, and the Nokia n800 (so
I here), but besides being slow, the UI is just not cut it for a handheld
device. Tab completion rocks when you have a full keyboard and it almost
pointless when you are trying to hunt and peck with your thumbs :-) If
someone decided to build a mini-GUI (similar to the new GTK UI being
built now), it would go a long ways toward handheld portability. Even
with the best UI in the world, there is only so fast you can input
commands using a handheld. The most efficient use of a handheld is to
launch pre-configured attacks and monitor the status via a nice UI.
Working with a windows command shell (or even meterp) is going to be a
real pain no matter what kind of UI you make.

The limitations with the Nokia 770 platform are:
 * Slow CPU (this is much better with the n800)
 * Limited RAM (metasploit can be quite piggy sometimes)
 * Extremely slow storage (even with RS-MMC, maybe 300K/s)
 * No raw wireless TX support (no fun wifi exploits)
 * The devices auto-suspends w/o input, without on obvious way to disable
 * No "real" USB host mode (without external power + cable + storage)

The Zaurus I have (5500) has similar limitations, but at least the storage
and WiFi is less of an issue)

-HD