Metasploit mailing list archives

Info...

From: Robert.Clark at cern.ch (Robert Clark)
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 12:10:56 +0200

I can also only agree.

About 7 years ago I wanted to be an /uber hacker/

I have read and read and read, written tons of code, and am currently
writing my dissertation on clandestine network penetration and
"armadillo security"....

I think so far I have made it to /Security Enthusiast/ hehe.

 From my experience its not something that you can learn just by reading
though, for a start most docs are out of date, You need to build up
understanding of all fundamental elements, starting right from a good
understanding of binary logic (Very usefull in packet construction etc)
all the way through to the best way to apply tools like nessus and msf
(Swinging by "smashing the stack" on the way - still a good read). Only
then can you start to really understand how systems work, and then how
to exploit them.

Please understand it is not my aim to talk down to you, this is a
journey that I myself am a long way from fully completing, in fact I
wonder if its possible to complete this journey....maybe not, the walk
is fun though and the scenery is always changing ;-)

Chill out, try not to use the word /Hack/ a lot, and have some (legal)
fun...

Cheers
-Rob

Jerome Athias wrote:
Hi again,

and first sorry for my first poor answer...

i agree with skape's suggestions
hacking is a large field...
i would recommend to read, read and read again, and read more
when you'll have skills about the "fundamental basis", then starts to
play (step by step) with more technical things

here are some interesting readings for this second step
http://www.securityforest.com/wiki/index.php/Category:EducationTree
http://metasploit.com/links.html   (Uninformed journal is great ;-))
https://www.securinfos.info/english/security_papers_hacking_whitepapers.php

hope it'll help you