Metasploit mailing list archives

Payload Handler issues in MSF 3.0-r3

From: thegnome at nmrc.org (Simple Nomad)
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 11:33:22 -0500 (CDT)

However, when I watch the actual packets flying between the attacking
console ( 192.168.213.1 ) and the target ( 192.168.213.130 ), I see that as
soon as the 'exploit' command is issued, the bind handler immediately begins
attempting to contact port 4444 on the target, even though the Framework
could of gone no further than executing:

There is similar behavior on the part of 2.x, as several of the exploits
try to go ahead and contact 4444 on the target (e.g. the rras MS06-025
exploit). I assumed this was by design, either intentional or
unintentional, as 1) if the exploit had been run previously, you can go
ahead and attach, and 2) port 4444 is the new port 31337, thx mainly to
msf ;-)

I'll let the authors comment on this, I just figured it was intentional
or an unintentional but desired side effect.

-SN