Metasploit mailing list archives

Suggestion : Providing the DATE for exploits

From: mjreilly at wam.umd.edu (Michael James Reilly)
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 23:32:02 -0400 (EDT)

Just came across these messages while catching up on my Metasploit email.

I would make sure that the Metasploit team agrees with OSVDB's policy for
setting disclosure dates before deciding to use their dates.  I have
worked on ICAT and the National Vulnerability Database (NVD) at NIST, and
the dating scheme they use has actually changed over the years (used to be
we'd search for the earliest disclosure date we could find; now we just
tag them with the date that we get the vulnerabilities from the CVE
folks).

Also, since there is not a 1:1 corresondence between all vulnerabilities
and exploits (some exploits apply to more than one vulnerability,
depending on the way those vulns were cataloged) some modules may have
more than one date in OSVDB...

All in all, I think it is better for Metasploit to maintain their own
dates if possible.

  - Michael Reilly