Information Security News mailing list archives

RE: Researchers predict worm that eats the Internet in 15 minutes

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 01:47:18 -0500 (CDT)

Forwarded from: Ryan Counts <webmaster () badsushi com>

Greetings,

        I hate to say it, but getting organizations to release patches
to security holes is only 10% of the cure.  If I remember right,
either Code Red or Nimda (or both, I can't find the emails that
corroborate my thoughts) targeted security holes that Microsoft had
already released patches for; not to mention a properly configured
server (simple things such as setting the webroot to any other drive
than C, and disabling unused virtual hosts and services) eliminated
the threat.

So, why did these worms succeed?  Poor security policies; poor
maintenance and non-updated Operating Systems.  Is this really
Microsoft's fault, or the organizations that either don't hire
experienced personnel or have lazy or overtaxed admins?  My vote is
for the latter, and it's a situation that has no clear solution.  I
can almost guarantee you that if such a worm outbreak such as the one
described in this article occurs, it will probably use an old, well
known security hole that's been addressed by the manufacturer.  And no
matter whether the worm targets Windows, Unix, Linux, OSX or all of
the above, the worm will owe its success to the same factors that made
Nimda so successful.

In my opinion, the critical question is how to fix this problem?  Do
we require IT Personnel to get a license before practicing
administration like Doctors and hold them accountable?  Do we fine
companies for not keeping their hardware and software maintained?  Or
do we hand out a bunch of Etch-a-Sketches?

Thanks,
Ryan