Information Security News mailing list archives

Re: Researchers predict worm that eats the Internet in 15 minutes

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2002 06:32:57 -0500 (CDT)

Forwarded from: JohnE37179 () aol com

Attacking routers or root name servers (like all other systems) can
come from two directions...outside the firewall and inside the
firewall. As surveyafter survey and experience tells us, the majority
of attacks on any system are not from the script kiddies, but from the
inside -- from people with authorization. Authorization can be
compromized in so many ways. We live in a world where 4% of the people
opening bank accounts have identities that have been stolen or
fraudulently compromised. Fictional resumes are so prolific that there
ought to be a Noble Prize for fiction for the fake resume.

By concentrating on the attack from outside the firewall without
securing the system from within we only lock the windows while leaving
the door wide open.

John Ellingson
CEO
Edentification, Inc.
59 Oak Creek Trail
Madison, WI 53717
Voice:  608-833-6261
Fax:  877-546-7607

-
ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

To unsubscribe email majordomo () attrition org with 'unsubscribe isn'
in the BODY of the mail.