Information Security News mailing list archives

Re: [TSCM-L] Security? Huh!

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 03:54:51 -0600 (CST)

Forwarded from: JohnE37179 () aol com

In a message dated 3/1/02 11:07:09 AM, Russell Coker writes:

Where is the government going to find people who have experience in
security?  Banks, commercial security companies, and night-clubs I
guess.  So when the government wants to hire security people the
people who caused those three stuff-ups I described will be on the
applicant list...

My experience is similar to the author's. If you wanted to get
something past security at an airport of a Senate office building,
etc., all you have to do is hand the package, brief case, camera case,
etc., to the security personnel for a hand inspection. I'm convinced
that both before and after September 11, you could get almost anything
past almost anybody. My experience in the government office buildings
around the capital is that the post September 11 response was to
increase the number of incompetent people providing security.  In
addition to the increase in numbers the only other change I see is
more casual conversation among the security personnel.

Security at airports and most public government facilities isn't even
a good illusion.

John Ellingson
CEO
Edentification, Inc.
59 Oak Creek Trail
Madison, WI 53717
Voice:  608-833-6261
Fax:  877-546-7607

-
ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

To unsubscribe email majordomo () attrition org with 'unsubscribe isn' in the BODY
of the mail.