Information Security News mailing list archives

RE: Interview with an ex-hacker

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 01:55:03 -0600 (CST)

Forwarded from: Brooks Isoldi <bjisoldi () acsu buffalo edu>

Well, good luck telling that to this reporter.  I have in the past
tried to inform Mr. Middleton on the topic of internet crimes, which
he attempts to write many of his news articles about.  He goes out of
his way to pick the most moronic of hackers and asks them the most
moronic of questions.  I guess the two fit nicely together.  One
article he wrote actually contained information on what the kids do
besides hacking and contained questions that had absolutely no bearing
whatsoever on the issue.  Middleton has made an effort to allow
juvenile kids with very little knowledge of the very systems they
attack to stand on a podium and preach security to the rest of the
world, and he has justified this nonsense by claiming that these
articles are widely read by his targetted audience and therefore he
must be doing something right.  Well, sure if your target audience
doesn't know anything about the topic, of COURSE they're going to be
more likely to enjoy what you write.  It's ridiculous when you see a
journalist stoop down to the level where the "hacker underground" is
some awe-inspiring, sensational realm that few people have the honor
of existing within.

---
Brooks Isoldi
The Intelligence Network