Information Security News mailing list archives

Re: The May Report: 01/31/2002: Calling all hackers...

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 00:24:54 -0600 (CST)

Forwarded from: Robert G. Ferrell <rferrell () texas net>

* I received a call this morning from a self-described hacker who told
me that I might be interested to learn that Microsoft is "calling all
hackers." Bill Gates announced a few days ago that security and
trustworthiness is the number one concern of Microsoft. In order to
make sure that their sites are safe, Microsoft is asking hackers to
help them with penetration issues and intrusion detection.

Call me cynical, but the sorry Randal Schwarz saga leaps to mind when
I see a powerful corporation asking for 'hackers' to do 'penetration
testing' on their systems.  I'd be too afraid I'd cross their
invisible line...

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
     --Santayana

I asked the guy--who did identify himself to me, but asked to remain
anonymous--how they found him.  He explained that it's really a pretty
small community, and once you are on the list of people who know about
this stuff, they keep track of you.

They haven't contacted me, so I guess I'm not a member of that
'community.  I don't know what I did to deserve this, but whatever it
is, I hope I can keep doing it.

;-)

RGF

Robert G. Ferrell
rferrell () texas net
http://rferrell.home.texas.net/rgflit.html

-
ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

To unsubscribe email majordomo () attrition org with 'unsubscribe isn' in the BODY
of the mail.