Information Security News mailing list archives

RE: Interview with an ex-hacker

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 02:34:52 -0600 (CST)

Forwarded from: "Thomas (Yahoo!)" <thomasroygarner () yahoo com>

Since when is web-vandalism equal to "terrorized websites" (and since
when is terrorized spelled w/ an S instead of a Z?).  I believe this
reporter is setting an extremely dangerous tone by linking the word
terrorism to vandalism.  With the 100's of new anti-terrorism laws in
place, we are going to see sweeping changes all in the name of
"anti-terrorism", example, Super Bowl 36, did anyone catch the
commercials that stated "some drug money is used to front terrorist
activities" by using imagery (paying for guns, explosives, seeing a
person sitting down "building" something).

I believe that we need to be very careful how we report items, b/c my
creating a link between web vandalism and terrorism, is going to
create a new wave of anti-computer "whatever" (i.e., hacking, etc.,)
raids, like back during the Cyberpunk days (remember that?)

Thomas Roy Garner
SETIPRIME ( http://www.setiprime.com )