Interesting People mailing list archives

[What have I been warning?] Tide Pod Challenge: YouTube is removing dangerous videos

From: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2018 19:29:22 +0000

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Date: Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 1:56 PM
Subject: [ NNSquad ] [What have I been warning?] Tide Pod Challenge:
YouTube is removing dangerous videos
To: <nnsquad () nnsquad org>

[What have I been warning?] Tide Pod Challenge: YouTube is removing
dangerous videos

http://money.cnn.com/2018/01/18/technology/tide-pod-challenge-video-youtube-facebook/index.html

        YouTube and Facebook are trying to stop the spread of the Tide
        Pod Challenge, a bizarre and dangerous phenomenon in which social
        media users eat laundry detergent packets on camera.  YouTube, which
        is owned by Google (GOOGL), says it's taking down clips that show
        people taking bites of the pods. The videos have become an online
        craze among teenagers, prompting widespread health and safety
        warnings.

 - - -

GOD DAMN IT. I've been warning and warning about the risks of
YouTube's "prank and dare" videos. Does anybody listen until AFTER the
damage is done? -

"A YouTube Prank and Dare Category That's Vast, Disgusting, and Potentially
Deadly":

https://lauren.vortex.com/2017/12/17/youtube-prank-dare-vast-disgusting-potentially-deadly

"YouTube's Dangerous and Sickening Cesspool of "Prank" and "Dare" Videos":

https://lauren.vortex.com/2017/05/04/youtubes-dangerous-and-sickening-cesspool-of-prank-and-dare-videos