Interesting People mailing list archives

Re [What have I been warning?] Tide Pod Challenge: YouTube is removing dangerous videos

From: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2018 20:01:54 +0000

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Justin Maxwell <soc () code404 com>
Date: Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 2:59 PM
Subject: Re: [IP] [What have I been warning?] Tide Pod Challenge: YouTube
is removing dangerous videos
To: dave () farber net <dave () farber net>
CC: ip <ip () listbox com>

It's interesting that YouTube is willing to remove dangerous videos of
events that have already passed, but unwilling to remove thousands of sick
and twisted videos targeted at children and designed to manipulate their
algorithms.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elsagate

I'm an ex-Googler ("xoogler") and friends on the YT team told me that YT
leadership believes these videos are acceptable despite the protest of many
employees.

We (and many other parents) had to uninstall the YouTube Kids app after
finding our child watching really disturbing content.