Interesting People mailing list archives

Vint Cerf: Traceability

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2018 10:11:31 +0900

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Subject: [ NNSquad ] Vint Cerf: Traceability
Date: August 6, 2018 8:53:53 JST
To: nnsquad () nnsquad org

Vint Cerf: Traceability

https://cacm.acm.org/magazines/2018/8/229771-traceability/fulltext

      "This suggests to me that the notion of traceability under
      (internationally?) agreed circumstances (that is, differential
      traceability) might be a fruitful concept to explore. In most
      societies today, it is accepted that we must be identifiable
      to appropriate authorities under certain conditions (consider
      border crossings, traffic violation stops as examples). While
      there are conditions under which apparent anonymity is
      desirable and even justifiable (whistle-blowing, for example)
      absolute anonymity is actually quite difficult to achieve
      (another point made at the Ditchley workshop) and might not be
      absolutely desirable given the misbehaviors apparent anonymity
      invites. I expect this is a controversial conclusion and I
      look forward to subsequent discussion."

- - -

While I have frequently called for greater accountability in key
aspects of Internet operations (in particular, public access to WHOIS
domain data except in limited circumstances), I fear that in the
general case Vint's Traceability proposal would mostly gladden the
hearts of bad governmental players in countries such as China, Russia,
and even here in the USA. It basically amounts to an escrowed identity
system, a concept that has been widely and appropriately criticized in
the encryption arena. Given that a significant degree of anonymity is
crucial for human rights advocates and others who live in areas of the
world that are routinely under government oppression, I do not see
obvious ways that Vint's proposal could be implemented without
innocent parties being even more at the mercy of oppressive
governments than they are today.

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein (lauren () vortex com): https://www.vortex.com/lauren
Lauren's Blog: https://lauren.vortex.com