Interesting People mailing list archives

Berninger v. FCC: Cert petition filed with Supreme Court today

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2017 18:49:41 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Daniel Berninger <dan.berninger () gmail com>
Date: September 27, 2017 at 4:16:48 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Berninger v. FCC: Cert petition filed with Supreme Court today

Dave,

For IP, I filed a cert petition as a further appeal of the Open Internet Order in Berninger v. FCC with the Supreme
Court today.

See the petition as filed via the redirect stopthemadness.tech/certpetition

I believe the Supreme Court needs to defend the 9-0 holding in Reno v. ACLU that any Government regulation of the
Internet triggers a First Amendment strict scrutiny inquiry.

The FCC's "predictive judgement" underlying the OIO becomes prior restraint in the context of the First Amendment.

Mere speculation falls short of a compelling government interest necessary to obtain an exception to the First
Amendment.

The FCC's reliance on Chevron deference - court defers to agency to resolve ambiguity in statute - does not overcome
a Constitutional First Amendment challenge.

The larger controversy turns on the FCC's - war is peace - assertion of Government as the protector of freedom of
speech.

I encourage everyone to read the 45 word First Amendment which prohibits - not ask for protection - government
abridging communication.

I also encourage everyone to find an example of where in the 80 year track record of the FCC actually served the
benevolent purposes claimed in the OIO.

The FCC has a long track record of blocking new communication modalities as it does in the OIO with respect to my
start-up Hello Digital (see the petition).

Dan
Daniel Berninger
Founder, Voice Communication Exchange Committee
e: dan () danielberninger com
tel SD: +1.202.765.3155
SIP HD: dan () danielberninger com
w: www.vcxc.org