Interesting People mailing list archives

Re Berninger v. FCC: Cert petition filed with Supreme Court today

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2017 20:30:11 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dave Burstein <daveb () dslprime com>
Date: September 27, 2017 at 7:55:16 PM EDT
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] Berninger v. FCC: Cert petition filed with Supreme Court today

Dave

Try http://stopthemadness.tech/certpetition  or http://vcxc.org/documents/BerningerCertPetitionFinal.pdf if that link
doesn't work.

I disagree with Dan here, even though I know how wrong regulation can go. In particular, I believe

"the vibrant and competitive free market that presently exists for the Internet and other interactive computer
services [defined as services that provide access to the Internet]"

is not an accurate description of a market in which half of the U.S. has only one choice of reasonably robust high
speed Internet and very few have more than two.

I've spent nearly 20 years in this stuff - some spent working alongside Dan, a true pioneer in voice over the
Internet. My observation is that until you get to 4-7 carriers, the remarkable results of competition are more often
than not compromised.

U.S. landlines cost 30-60% more than many of our economic peers, especially France, for similar offerings. I consider
that strong evidence our competition is not working well.

Like many others, I've been looking hard at whether wireless is more than a very partial substitute. Average landline
usage today is probably over 150 gigabytes/month, continuing to rise.

Even the more expensive "unlimited" plans in the U.S. have soft caps of 10-32 gigabytes, perhaps an hour a day of
video. That's enough for some people but not most of us.

I'm delighted to be reporting remarkable progress in video that will improve things, but it will be years before
wireless is similar to landline capacity.

Email me freely offlist if you want to exchange analysis on how fast wireless capacity will grow.

Dave