Interesting People mailing list archives

Well worth reading .. : Rolling Back Net Neutrality?

From: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2017 16:53:15 +0000

The part that I find important is that dealing with (as part of the open
internet order) removing FTC. authority
by invoking title 2. As I said Monday in a privacy panel on the hill
sponcered by UPenn Law, there are things the FCC can do well
but privacy is not their bag. Also the FTC has a ANTI-trust hammer which
the FCC DOES NOT.

Dave Farber

"the classification of ISPs as Title II (so-called “common carriers”) — is
a lot more contentious. When the Open Internet Order reclassified ISPs
under Title II, a number of side effects occurred. One was that the ISPs
could no longer be regulated by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), because
the FTC is prohibited by federal law from regulating common carrier
services."