Interesting People mailing list archives

Seventh grader, far ahead of her class, punished for taking too many courses

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2017 17:20:59 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Date: June 4, 2017 at 2:46:54 PM EDT
To: Multiple recipients of Dewayne-Net <dewayne-net () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] Seventh grader, far ahead of her class, punished for taking too many courses

Seventh grader, far ahead of her class, punished for taking too many courses
By Jay Mathews
Jun 2 2017
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/seventh-grader-far-ahead-of-her-class-punished-for-taking-too-many-courses/2017/06/02/d020099e-4705-11e7-a196-a1bb629f64cb_story.html>

In a compelling piece for the Washington City Paper, D.C. high school teacher Rob Barnett has confessed his anguish
at passing students who haven’t mastered the content of his math courses, and described his radical solution.

It’s called mastery learning. Barnett recorded all of his lessons, put them online and let each student move through
them at his or her own pace. “They must show they understand one topic before advancing to the next,” he said. “I
think of myself not so much as a teacher but as a facilitator of inquiry.”

This method is not new. I remember a Virginia high school that tried it 20 years ago. Barnett identified charter
schools in Yuma, Ariz., and Chicago that are having success with it. It is a logical way to deepen the education of
our children and, as Barnett discovered in his classes, inspire initiative. “They learn to assess their own
understanding, to ask for help when they need it, and to teach themselves and their peers without my guidance,” he
said.

But mastery learning is almost completely at odds with American school traditions. Barnett had difficulty, for
instance, dealing with the required annual D.C. tests that assume everyone learns at the same pace.

A parent I know in Michigan found his public school system, after first being helpful, eventually reacted to his
daughter’s fast pace under a makeshift mastery program as if the child had violated the dress code.

As Vipul Gupta tells the story, his daughter’s experience with mastery began innocently at the Grand Blanc school
district. When the girl entered fifth grade a test showed she was a year ahead of her class in math. She could take
sixth grade at the school or under Michigan law could do an online course.

She chose online. When she completed sixth grade math in a few months she went ahead and did seventh grade math too.
She asked to do the same in science. The school resisted at first but eventually she was taking ninth grade science
as a sixth grader. She is now five years ahead of her grade in math and three years ahead in science. Her school also
let her take an entrepreneurship course full of 11th and 12th graders at the district’s Career Institute.

Now, in seventh grade, she has been made to pay for the crime of getting too far ahead of her classmates. Almost
everyone in her middle school takes six courses. This school year she was only allowed to take five. Gupta said “they
refused to allow my daughter to take her second year Spanish foreign language class—a subject she adored and a fun
break in her day while we had a joy of speaking this at home—and instead make her sit in the library for one hour
doing homework.”

[snip]

Dewayne-Net RSS Feed: <http://dewaynenet.wordpress.com/feed/>