Interesting People mailing list archives

Fwd: Fwd: FreePress is suing the FCC. Here's how the process works.

From: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2017 00:28:30 +0000

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Cory Doctorow <doctorow () craphound com>
Date: Fri, Dec 29, 2017 at 7:20 PM
Subject: Re: Fwd: [IP] FreePress is suing the FCC. Here's how the process
works.
To: <dave () farber net>, ip <ip () listbox com>

This isn't that complicated.

When I get into a taxi and ask it to take me to a store, that's the
store I want to go to, not the store that has paid the cabbie for
"premium delivery." I don't want the cab to delay me by circling the
block a few times because I have chosen a store that makes the cabbie
less money.

The fact that the store is making choices about what they sell and how
they display it does not justify the cab driver slowing me down to
increase the attractiveness of a store that paid him to do so.

The fact that taxis are expensive and speculative and require
substantial capex and labor inputs and maintenance does not justify the
cab driver slowing me down to increase the attractiveness of a store
that paid him to do so.

The fact that the store treats its suppliers poorly, or manipulates its
customers with clever retail psychology to entice me into making
purchases I later regret does not justify the cab driver slowing me down
to increase the attractiveness of a store that paid him to do so.

The fact that the taxi company wants to become a retailer does not
justify the cab driver slowing me down to increase the attractiveness of
a store that paid him to do so.

I buy internet service to get me the bits I request, as expeditiously as
possible. Any ISP that thinks its customers have signed up for anything
else is kidding itself (or, more likely, kidding the FCC).

Cory