Interesting People mailing list archives

Re FreePress is suing the FCC. Here's how the process works.

From: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2017 19:09:13 +0000

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Charles Jackson <clj () jacksons net>
Date: Sat, Dec 30, 2017 at 1:29 PM
Subject: Re: Fwd: [IP] FreePress is suing the FCC. Here's how the process
works.
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Cory Doctorow <doctorow () craphound com>

This isn't that complicated.

When I get into a taxi and ask it to take me to a store, that's the
store I want to go to, not the store that has paid the cabbie for
"premium delivery." I don't want the cab to delay me by circling the
block a few times because I have chosen a store that makes the cabbie
less money.

​Sounds reasonable.  But, I also think it reasonable that the cab pull over
when it hears the siren of an ambulance and thereby give the ambulance a
"fast lane."   Similarly, I'm not upset when a toll road is opened up
parallel to a often-congested highway.

I buy internet service to get me the bits I request, as expeditiously as
possible. Any ISP that thinks its customers have signed up for anything
else is kidding itself (or, more likely, kidding the FCC).

​Well, I'd prefer having an ISP that gives a higher priority to VoIP and
streaming video than to email and linux kernel downloads.  I can set such
priorities for outbound traffic by properly configuring my router and I
think my Vonage box does this automatically.  But, the benefits of that end
once a packet leaves my house.   ​Similarly, I'd like my mobile carrier not
to bother with HARQ on UDP streams carrying telephone traffic but apply it
to TCP streams.

--
Chuck

Charles L. Jackson

301 656 8716 <(301)%20656-8716>    desk phone
301 775 1023 <(301)%20775-1023>    mobile

PO Box 221
Port Tobacco, MD 20677