Interesting People mailing list archives

Re Former Facebook exec says social media is ripping apart society

From: "DAVID FARBER" <dfarber () me com>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2017 12:12:18 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Brett Glass <brett () lariat net>
Subject: Re: [IP] Former Facebook exec says social media is ripping apart society
Date: December 12, 2017 at 11:56:23 AM EST
To: dave () farber net

Dave, and everyone:

It's good to see a former Facebook executive confirming what I, as someone who has been involved in social media
since the days of BBSes and Usenet but only recently dipped my toe into Facebook to complete a specific project, am
already observing.

Facebook, more so than other edge services, is particularly manipulative. It censors and filters news to suit its
corporate agendas; for example, when I presented an ISP's viewpoint on Internet regulation (which is counter to that
of Facebook, which favors Draconian government regulation and micromanagement of ISPs), it failed to show those
postings to users who had "friended" me... and even deleted many within minutes of my posting them! Its "Pavlovian
ping" - which sounded every time anyone posted to any comment thread in which I had shown an interest - attempted to
draw me back to the computer again and again and consume my time and attention. It took careful note of any
advertisement on which I dwelled or on which I clicked, attempted to track my other browsing around the Web, and then
delivered ads that were creepily targeted toward what it thought were my interests. It aggressively pursued, and
tried to draw out, personal information about me, despite the danger of identity theft that this posed.

There is no doubt in my mind that platforms such as Facebook can, and do, manipulate people in profound ways, and
that it was used to do so during the most recent US election. But more scary still is the fact that Facebook - now
aware of how it was used to do this - has seized the reins and is seeking to manipulate its users itself.

In the couple of months I have spent working with Facebook, it has demonstrated this manipulative power by censoring
me, others and the news; alienating impressionable acquaintances from me' and attempting to draw me in, in similar
fashion, to its electronic echo chamber.

I'll be terminating the account I established on Facebook within a couple of weeks, at which time I will wipe out
everything I have posted there and will be glad to have done so. But I won't forget what I've seen there - or ignore
its power to manipulate and to keep people - especially the young - tied to their phones. It may be that we reach a
state similar to that predicted by George Orwell not via fixed "viewscreens," but rather via users' cell phone
screens.

--Brett Glass