Interesting People mailing list archives

Re Former Facebook exec says social media is ripping apart society

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2017 17:26:52 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Savage, Christopher" <ChrisSavage () dwt com>
Date: December 12, 2017 at 4:23:28 PM EST
To: "dave () farber net" <dave () farber net>
Subject: RE: [IP] Re  Former Facebook exec says social media is ripping apart society

Dave,

A brief reply, for IP if you wish.

Chris S.

Begin forwarded message:

From: Danny Weitzner <djweitzner () csail mit edu>
Date: December 12, 2017 at 10:03:36 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip <ip () listbox com>

I'm sure this reflects a well-intentioned guilty conscience, but it strikes me as the height of techno-determinism
and Silicon Valley self-importance to believe that the flaws in this medium are at the heart of the tensions in our
social fabric. Does anyone really believe that but for FB and other social media we would be having an easy time
managing:

1/massive economic dislocation, deep-seated tensions in gender relations,

2/culture war version X between the parts of the country that 'want to make America great again' by retreating from
the world and turning their backs on diversity and tolerance, versus those parts of the country (not defined any more
by just Red States and Blue ones)

3/huge gaps between those who accept science and reason versus those who distrust even well-supported scientific
results if the origin is an elite university

I'd remind everyone that in the 2008 election, may of the now critics of Facebook etc gave those networks credit for
the election of our first African-American president over the presumptive Democratic nominee.

Social networks as a medium are highly imperfect and should be more responsibly managed by the owners and regulated
when they come into contract with the campaign finance and advertising arenas. But we have bigger problems than
'like' buttons and 143+ character messages.<<

The key point Professor Weitzner misses is our highly-evolved tendency to try to identify those who are in our tribe
(to whom we react favorably) and those who are not (to whom we don’t).  In insular pre-industrial agricultural
communities, the determination of “our tribe” was geographic.  The industrial revolution, urbanization, and mass
communications (especially network television) did not change our evolved nature, but created an environment in which
for many of us, the boundaries of our tribe became diffuse.  Racial and gender divides are the exceptions that prove
the rule, in that it is essentially obvious from direct observation in most cases that someone is a member of a
another race or gender.

The rise first of cable news, then the proliferation of differentiated information on the web, then social networks,
then individually-tailored predictive ads and search results, permit us to revert to our evolutionary norm of
spending most of our time and attention on people like us – however ignorant, biased, narrow-minded, or ill-informed
we may be.  It works because that’s what we like to see.  It happens because there’s money in it, as the financial
positions of Google and Facebook attest.  It also happens because it can be used to affect political power in the
real world, as the 2016 election attests.

Obviously there are lots of real problems in the real world, as Professor Weitzner notes.  But what he misses is that
social networks in particular, but also other aspects of the online world, simultaneously make some of those problems
worse, and almost universally lower our effective social ability to deal with them effectively.  Those who do not
accept science and reason, in the old days, would be confronted daily via network news and broad-distribution papers
and magazines with the overwhelming consensus that science works.  Now they can spend their time on flat earth
websites and have collections of social network friends who agree with them.  Those who want to turn their backs on
diversity and tolerance can now spend all their time reading Brietbart and its ilk, and, again, spend their time and
attention on social networks with friends who agree with them and reinforce their closed-minded and ignorant views.

Our beliefs and attitudes do not exist in a vacuum.  They are mediated and influenced by what we pay attention to and
who we spend our time with.  Social networks (and, again, certain aspects of the online experience generally) are
effectively engineered to keep us in our information and attitudinal bubbles.  We like it so we keep doing it; and it
lets folks sell lots of very carefully targeted ads.

These are serious, real problems that should not be so easily dismissed.

Chris S.

Danny

--
Daniel J. Weitzner, Principal Research Scientist
MIT Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Lab

csl sri com>, Sam Baker <kokuadigital () gmail com>, Catherine Jefferson <ariel () spambouncer org>

Former Facebook exec says social media is ripping apart society
‘No civil discourse, no cooperation; misinformation, mistruth.’
https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/11/16761016/former-facebook-exec-ripping-apart-society

--
Geoff.Goodfellow () iconia com
living as The Truth is True

--
Daniel J. Weitzner, Principal Research Scientist
MIT Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Lab
Director, Internet Policy Research Initiative