Interesting People mailing list archives

Re Comments? Re New York Times defends hiring extreme climate denier: 'millions agree with him'

From: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2017 13:43:16 +0000

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Benjamin C. Pierce <bcpierce () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, Apr 23, 2017 at 8:28 AM
Subject: Re: [IP] Comments? Re New York Times defends hiring extreme
climate denier: 'millions agree with him'
To: <dave () farber net>
Cc: ip <ip () listbox com>

[For IP, if you choose.]

*From:* Michael Robertson <mr () michaelrobertson com>

I'd point out that global warmers have largely abandoned that term and
adopted the amorphous semantic fraud which is "climate change”.

The two terms mean slightly different things — “global warming” points to a
long-term trend in average global temperature, while “climate change” in
the context of this discussion encompasses a range of effects of that
underlying warming trend, including both "heat events" like droughts and
others like increased storm surges that are less obviously about heat.  But
both have been used for decades.

https://www.skepticalscience.com/climate-change-global-warming.htm

From: Jay Fenello <jay () fenello com>

All of this fuss over a projected 25% increase of CO2?
To put that in real terms, from .04% of the atmosphere, to .05%.
No doubt the climate is changing, but a little skepticism about the cause
being CO2 is warranted.

Some useful discussion of this point from a group of climate scientists:

https://www.skepticalscience.com/CO2-trace-gas.htm
https://www.skepticalscience.com/empirical-evidence-for-co2-enhanced-greenhouse-effect.htm

Best,

    - Benjamin