Interesting People mailing list archives

Re Forget AT&T. The Real Monopolies Are Google and Facebook.

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2016 19:20:38 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Joe Touch <touch () isi edu>
Date: December 14, 2016 at 6:59:17 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Forget AT&T. The Real Monopolies Are Google and Facebook.

Hi, Dave,

Market share is only part of the story, but a monopoly is determined not by share but by choice (or lack thereof).
For example, nothing forces me to use either Google or Facebook.

I can use at least a dozen search engines other than Google.
I can post web pages dozens of other ways than Facebook.
However, over 1/3 of the US has NO alternatives for Internet, TV,       or phone service.

A merger between a AT&T and TWC could force more customers to have no choice.

Joe