Interesting People mailing list archives

Why I don't want my data in "The Cloud"

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 10:35:25 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Mary Shaw <mary.shaw () gmail com>
Date: July 20, 2010 8:56:52 AM EDT
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Why I don't want my data in "The Cloud"

Now, torrentfreak.com is likely not to be an authoritative neutral
source, but it's reporting that Blogetery.com, hosting 73,000 blogs,
was shut down with zero notice by order of authorities and the service
provider is not allowed to provide information about this, let alone
the content of the blogs.  It seems fair to assume that at least some
of these blogs are innocent.

http://torrentfreak.com/u-s-authorities-shut-down-wordpress-host-with-73000-blogs-100716/

There are reports, for example
http://www.pcworld.com/article/201423/blogeterycom_shut_down_danger_on_the_internet.html?tk=hp_blg
and
http://www.examiner.com/x-41853-Homeland-Security-Examiner~y2010m7d19-Update-Blogetrycom-shutdown-linked-to-alQaeda-material
that it's terrorism-related, or claimed to be.

I have know other knowledge of blogetery.com -- maybe it's  well-known
by others to be a vipers' nest of evil.

But if I have to worry about whether other users of my service
providers are promulgating bomb-making instructions or pirate movies,
I don't think I want my data out there where it can be taken down with
sweeping measures against other peoples' activity.

Mary Shaw