Interesting People mailing list archives

Why I don't want my data in "The Cloud"

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 10:18:48 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Date: July 21, 2010 4:37:10 AM EDT
To: "Patrick W. Gilmore" <patrick () ianai net>
Cc: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] Why I don't want my data in "The Cloud"

To be clear: the "real time blackhole lists" were not simple statements of fact.  They were designed to be input to
tools that rejected *all* traffic from those sources, with granularity of MTA, not granularity of usernames.

The people who supported this did not merely assert facts.  They built (and still build) software tools that work by
such shutdowns.

The idea was supposedly that if an MTA didn't take responsibility for spam passing through it, it would be *punished*
by shutting it down.  That's not a hidden agenda.  You can find that agenda described widely by the apologists for
that group, including on the websites that groups publishing such lists maintain.  So there is clear evidence of
their *intent* that the facts be used to *shut down* MTAs.

The idea that mere "publication of facts" is not aggressive action is often a pattern of argument used by people who
want to collectively punish people.  We see that in almost all vigilantism.  For example, people merely publish
directories of "local homosexuals" or create "Jewish registries" in order to encourage attacks against them.