Interesting People mailing list archives

re Privacy issues in proposed DNS protocol extension

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 16:35:45 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dan Lynch <dan () lynch com>
Date: January 29, 2010 4:28:52 PM EST
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] Privacy issues in proposed DNS protocol extension

Privacy? Get over it! Scott McNealy said that decades ago. Still true.

Marketers have your ZIP code already. That spells out more that your DNS server ever will.

Dan

On 1/29/10 1:15 PM, "Dave Farber" <dfarber () me com> wrote:

>From: "Joe Baptista" <baptista () publicroot org>
>To: "Lauren Weinstein" <lauren () vortex com>
>Cc: <nnsquad () nnsquad org>
>Date: January 29, 2010 03:49:44 PM EST
>Subject: [ NNSquad ] Re: Privacy issues in proposed DNS protocol extension

I'm taking this opportunity and invitation from Lauren to address the privacy issues in the Google DNSEXT proposal.

This protocol will be welcomed by big business. It's perfect for targeted marketing campaigns. Based on your IP address an authoritative name server can direct your query to specific resources.

The new protocol will allow geo-targeted responses based on the users network address location. The rationalization seems to be that a user will be better served by a nearby server therefore improving speed, latency, and network utilization.

I'm sure the protocol will be used for this purpose in some cases but not in all. I predict the use of the protocol by big business will have less to do with improving the user experience and more to do with target marketing efforts. After all if they know where you live they can better target their products and services to you.

Those concerned about privacy have good reason to red flag this protocol. The user will have less privacy in the DNS then they do now. Thats a given. Even with the recommended anonymization procedure privacy issues are a concern.

But let's not forget that every time you visit a web site your IP address is known. Is it a big deal that now the DNS servers know your network address? If the protocol becomes a reality I have no doubt that with the state of the DNS and security issues these days that abuses will happen.

There will be provacy issues when it comes to anonymous proxy services. Anonymous proxies are used to hide users IP addresses from websites. It seems to me the new Google DNSEXT protocol may defeat the purpose behind anonymous proxy services.

regards
joe baptista

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 10:22 PM, Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com> wrote:

Several people have already asked me about the privacy implications
associated with http://bit.ly/cAS0rO (Google Code Blog).

For now, I recommend reading the full Draft:

http://bit.ly/bf7wa7  (IETF)

for details, but the executive summary is that the default
recommendation is anonymization of the low order octet of IP
addresses, and includes a mechanism for full address opt-out
from the extension (see section 8.1).

I welcome discussion here in NNSquad of the perceived implications of
this proposal, both positive and/or negative.

--Lauren--
NNSquad Moderator

Archives <https://www.listbox.com/member/archive/247/=now> <https://www.listbox.com/member/archive/rss/247/ > <http://www.listbox.com>

Tel. 707-967-0203   Cell  650-776-7313
My assistant is Dori Kirk   Tel. 707-255-7094  dori () lynch com