Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Privacy issues in proposed DNS protocol extension

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 19:08:39 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Date: January 29, 2010 5:29:54 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Privacy issues in proposed DNS protocol extension

Dave, I'm not currently convinced that there are major privacy
problems with this DNS extension proposal, given the existing Internet
infrastructure and typical modes of operation.

One issue (that doesn't just involve this situation) is whether
anonymization of the low order octet of IPv4 addresses provides
sufficient privacy protection in any contexts.  For typical consumer
Internet users it's probably good enough.  But for any entity that
controls blocks of IP address space, it becomes more problematic.  I
know of many one-man businesses that operate entire Class C networks,
for them lowest order octet anonymization provides no privacy benefits
at all.

The DNS extension proposal does include a full anonymity opt-out,
though it's unclear to me how widely it would be implemented or
understood, especially early on.

BUT.  As I said at the top, I don't think that in the real world of the
Internet this DNS proposal introduces significant new privacy risks,
and it would bring significant efficiency and other benefits, especially
in edge caching environments.

The reason I don't see a real problem is that the main source of location
data (and any associated privacy issues) is the IP address as delivered
by necessity to Web site servers themselves.  Most consumers use the
DNS resolvers of their ISP -- even if they didn't the ISP could track
and log every site that they visited via direct (non-VPN, non-proxied)
connections.

Most people don't run their own DNS resolvers.  Whether you use your
ISP's recommended DNS, the Google DNS, OpenDNS, or other similar
services, you are exposing your IP address to them, and your next step
of course will be to expose your IP address to the actual Web sites to
which you connect.  If you connect to an anonymizing proxy, you're
exposing your IP address to the proxy.

This is just how the Internet works.

I just don't buy into the argument that there is a significant change
created in the "privacy spectrum" by this DNS extension proposal, when
viewed in the context of the many ways that IP addresses are of necessity
exposed during the normal status quo operations of the Internet today.

--Lauren--
NNSquad Moderator

- - -